Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Cassidys big adventure

Was feeling a bit sorry for myself yesterday. The sun was shining and although it was bitterly cold I wanted to be out in the garden doing something. Instead I was huddled round the fire nursing a cold. 
As usually happens when you light the fire there comes a time when you have to venture outside to fill the coal scuttle, and look who was hiding in the coal bunker.




He , or she, was quite lethargic and was quite happy to be photographed. Usually they disappear before I have time to get a camera. I had quite a job to convince him to move so I could actually shovel some coal into the scuttle. 
Then I noticed something wrong. His front leg is broken😢. If you look at the picture closely you can see a white blob, its the bone sticking through the skin, and when he was persuaded to move the forearm was dragging, held on by a flap of skin.
So what to do with an injured frog who probably started life as one of the tadpoles in my garden? 
Top marks to my local vet, Priory vet group in Cardigan. I phoned them up to see if there was a rescue for injured amphibians anywhere locally and they said to pop it in a box and bring it in. So Cassidy, named after Hopalong Cassidy ,hero of one of my favourite childhood television programs, was duly popped in a box and taken to the vet. 
The wound turned out to be an old one which had healed up nicely and as Cassidy was nice and fat so obviously managing to eat properly he was popped back in the box for the return bus journey back to the coal bunker. 
He hopped out a bit more enthusiastically than he hopped in😂.


I'd love to know how he got such a horrible injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment