Wednesday, March 18, 2015

New beginnings

I was feeling well and truly fed up with looking out of my window at this. I'd already managed to get rid of the pile of trash left from the firewood I was given last year and on Saturday I had bought a magnolia which I have wanted for years so yesterday I decided to tidy up this eyesore and create a new flower bed. 

In the morning I got the bus into Cardigan and bought a bag of ericaceous compost to dig into the ground before planting. It's a good job that the bus stops at the end of the road as 50litres of compost is very heavy to carry! 
After a cup of coffee I started to empty the compost bin and move it to its' new home nearer the house. Uncomposted compost was replaced in the bin and the rest spread over the new bed along with a bag of leaf mould I found lurking behind the bin. The bed was edged with logs and the ericaceous compost dug in where the magnolia was to be planted. 

I transplanted some fuchsias which had been in the same pots for far too long and also last year's spinach which is starting to shoot again. 

I finished at 4 o'clock. Magnolia Susan looks happy in her new home and I hope the fuchsias will be happier here than they were in their pots. A Robin and a dunnock were enjoying themselves scratching round in the fresh soil for insects when I had finished. 

I saw the first butterfly of the year today as well, a red admiral. 

No comments:

Post a Comment